Chapter 2015

Another year has come and gone.  Lessons have been made, decisions have been addressed, moments have passed, memories have been embedded and new years resolutions have begun.  The year 2015 has had its ups, its downs and its down right embarrassments.  For myself, it has been a chapter.
Each year I take some time to sit down and really think about what the year has taught me.  I acknowledge the mistakes I have made, the letdowns and the most memorable parts of the year.  Chapter 2015 has been one of the most rewarding, disappointing and satisfying years I have had yet.  I have learned valuable lessons which have taught me way more about myself than I could have ever imagined.

The most valuable lesson I have learned is expectations.  We all have them, we all make them and we all live them.  I seem to always have expectations that end up leading me to disappointment.  All year I have had expectations in my home life, love life, family life, friend life and work life; and yet at the end of the day those expectations that I had only ended in disappointment, tears, uncertainty and unhappiness.  Those expectations didn't end up bothering anyone but me.

It wasn't just this chapter in my life that I have acknowledged these expectations, it goes as far back as when I was a kid.  Whether it had to do with meeting prince charming, having the perfect job or having the text book best friend.  Those expectations I had grew and the more I expected out of something the more I was disappointed if it didn't turn out how I hoped. 

It is so much easier to set these expectations and when they go wrong you have someone other than yourself to blame.  Your expectations have failed you because of someone else.  You cannot own your expectations; you've leased them.

For chapter 2016 and onward I have decided the only expectations I should have are my own.  I am not going to set standards of expectations for my family,  home life, work life or friendships, I am completely submerging my expectations to myself.  I will set my goals and life choices based on my expectations of me; not my spouse, not my children, not my boss at work, not even my friends.

Cheers to myself and chapter 2016, whatever expectations that occur are all on me! Happy New Years!

LG

Comments

Popular Posts