What can you rid of in order to gain some?

Today is the first day off I have had in a long time where I have had no obligations, no where to be, no meetings, no work, just me and myself.  I have to admit, slowing things down and doing nothing is something that I am terrible at.  I am not one who normally likes to sit still.  I like to keep busy and make sure that I am taking care of everyone else.  What I slowly have realized lately, is that I cannot be everywhere.  I cannot please everyone, I cannot help everyone and I certainly am not helping myself and taking very good care of myself when I am busy making sure others are happy and satisfied.  I got a little bit caught up.  I started feeling run down, pulled in all sorts of directions, started feeling really tired lately.  Seems funny coming from a yogi doesn't it?
We are all human.  We all tend to want the same things, we all want to make sure that our children are loved, our family and friends feel supported, we do a great job as a co-worker and that we are a good enough spouse.  It is hard being an adult.  It is tough being responsible. If we stop taking care of ourselves then who takes care of us? Who steps in?

It is so important to slow things down.  To find time for you. Whether it is a beautiful morning yoga practice, an afternoon meditation, an evening stroll on a trail, we need time for ourselves.  We need time to slow things down but to also remember what it is we need.  For example, I need to stop being so busy.  Being busy is great but at the same time it has its tendencies to run me down.  I have realized this past week that something needs to give.  I cannot be everywhere. I am human.  I need to give up something in order to give myself something; time. 

I need time off from a busy calendar in order to spend my time wisely.  I need time to keep up with housework, doing laundry, or going out and taking a daytime yoga class.  I need to be able to give up something in order to gain an abundance of things; happiness, rest, peace, ease, freedom, laughter and choice. 

As I sit here on my couch, finishing up my tea I realize just how much I needed today.  I needed to be lazy on the couch, I needed to do some regular mom stuff like laundry and most importantly I just needed to not be needed somewhere else.

I ask you as you go through your day and into your weekend to take the time to really think about where you are in your life and in your journey and ask yourself what is it that you can get rid of in order to gain some?

Comments

Popular Posts