the little things we take for granted

In a world where we start to slow things down is really a world where things become a lot more clear and in perspective. We take so much for granted and the universe has asked us just for a little while to slow down, breathe deeply and turn inward.

We take so many things for granted.  We really do. We live in a country where we have freedom.  Freedom of choice of whom we love and who we are.  We have fresh clean filtered water, food within arms reach at grocery stores. We have air conditioning and heat in our homes. We have a home that is probably too large and we have clothing on our backs. We can order things online with a click of a button and have them delivered right to our front door.

This week our air conditioner stopped working.  It got hot, sticky and uncomfortable in our house. Instead of being angry that we didn't have the luxury of cool air it really gave us a perspective of how we take the little things for granted. We are so lucky we have the luxuries that we do. 

It got me thinking about where I am currently in my life and how I have so many wonderful things, little things, in it that I may take for granted. I can pour myself a glass of cold water at any given time. I can drink as much as I need to without the worry of it running out. Do you know how many people outside of Canada and the United States can do that? If I run out of food I can drive my car to the local grocery store and pick out whatever it is I need. I don't have to worry about my food ever not coming.

It is up to us to use this time we have to really stop and take things back to simplicity.  The simple things are the things we tend to take most for granted. We are so lucky that we are here.  We are so lucky to have the things we do in our lives. We are so lucky that we have a choice; a choice to be thankful and grateful or a choice to turn our heads the other way.

What are the little things you take for granted?

Water.
Shelter.
Air.
Food.
Air conditioning.
Clothes.
Resources.

Comments

Popular Posts