When Disaster Struck My Home

The day was coming to a close like any other normal afternoon.  The storm clouds started to roll in and the news kept flashing "tornado warnings and watches."  Just like any other time we have heard it on the news we sort of never really believed it was about to happen.  I had just returned to work this week after an incredible year off with my kids and thought I really needed some extra snuggle time with them.  They've really missed me the last few days and so have I.  Their normal routine has been majorly adjusted and it was only just the beginning.
I had my parents come out to watch the kids that day as it was an unusual day to begin with.  I was thankful they were there and yet all of the news channels kept flashing around the word tornado.  They decided that maybe it was time to explain that word to Brooklyn as she is always just full of questions anyways.  

I had taken an extra fifteen minutes and headed to the store to make sure my parents could go home and have a nice dinner.  As I was driving home the storm clouds were rolling in; dark and fast.  I even said to myself in the car "wow that looks sketchy."  It was a long day for my parents watching two kids so they pretty much said hello goodbye all in one and jetted out the door.  I yelled "drive safely, it's looking sketchy out." 

After finishing feeding Nate a bottle I decided to check the weather network one last time.  Words flashed across the screen as it usually does during storms but a few stuck in my mind; go to the basement and take cover  and if you're in a mobile home get out.  I preheated the oven and took a glance out the window and the lightening and thunder started rolling in.  I took a peak and said to Brookie "oh wow it's starting to get windy." Of course curious her wanted to see too so we peaked through again and that is when I screamed "GET IN THE BASEMENT."  We were right in the middle of the tornado and all we could see for those milliseconds was grey twirling of the tornado and our neighbors fence and shed flying through the air. We were in the middle of it and we didn't even know.

At that point my entire body was shaking and I didn't know if we would make it to the basement on time.  I had grabbed my phone for reasons I cannot explain and made sure we were hidden under the basement stairs.  During that time we could hear the freight train noise, the lights were flashing on and off and we could hear bangs of glass and who knows what.  Being so terrified I had to make sure I was brave for my kids. Brookie could hear the terror in my voice and began to cry.  We decided it was best to play a little bit of a game and call Derrick and my parents to make sure they were safe and to tell daddy not to come home just yet.  

I couldn't figure out if we were there minutes or hours but all I knew was that we couldn't move until I knew it was safe.  Heck, at that point I didn't know what I would walk up to.  Finally after a few messages from nearby friends telling me it was safe to come out we decided to take a look around.  Houses were torn, debris was everywhere but during that time of disbelief and shock there it was; the community pulling together minutes after a tornado going door to door making sure people were safe and unharmed. Firefighters, police, military, old or young everyone was there to make sure we all survived those scary few moments of disaster.  

Shock started and hundreds of people walked around our streets in disbelief of what just took place.  At that point all I could think of was how lucky I truly was.  How amazing my neighbors and friends were and how incredible it was that not one single person was suffering major injuries.  I've always known that we lucked out with our neighbors and we have become great friends but that evening made me so much more thankful for them than I ever could have ever imagined.    

They were holding my kids, putting on their shoes, making sure we were ok.  My hands were shaking so much, my eyes were boggled and my stomach was turned upside down.  This was a tough week to begin with and now God has tested me even more. 

During times of disaster people pull through.  All I could think of was how much more I needed to cuddle my children and how much more I needed to tell them I loved them.  I had to make sure I gave them what it was the most that I needed and that was reassurance, love, emotion and safe hugs.   

It's been days since the tornado struck but the emotions and pictures will remain in our minds and hearts for a long time.  I had to take Brookie around and show her the broken houses and explain to her what really went on as she had so many questions I couldn't answer.  I thought maybe if she saw it she would understand.  A young officer took time to answer her questions and to reassure her that she was ok.  

I am waiting patiently for the next storm to come and go so that I can reassure her that it will  be ok and that we may never get the chance to tell a story just like ours.  

Take the time to snuggle extra, tell your loved ones how much they mean to you and give them assurance when they need it most.  It shouldn't take a disaster for us to realize how often we need that as human beings or how often we reiterate it.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts